Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Why is Your Brain so Stubborn?



I want to change but I don't know how
I know what I need to do but keep defaulting back to my usual ways
It feels so fake and out of character to do anything differently

These are comments I hear continuously from clients who feel stuck and unable to move themselves forwards. Often they explain how stubborn their minds are and do not allow them to change.

The reality is that your brain is stubborn because it has a myriad of very clever strategies designed to keep you doing what you do to ensure self-preservation. This means that you are wired and conditioned through repetitive thoughts and actions to be who you are. The brain is only doing what it is programmed to do with its main motivation to keep you safe and keep you in your comfort zone because, well…that is the ego mind’s role... To keep you safe and avoid pain.

Some of these 'safety strategies' serve you and really do keep you safe but others are designed to help you avoid any perceived pain and are actually limiting you. And although they may help you feel safe, these strategies are keeping you small and preventing you from reaching your full potential.

These sort of strategies limit your potential they do not enhance your potential. And these strategies are known as avoidance strategies because they help you avoid the perception of pain and seek pleasure by staying safe.  

I like to think of these avoidance strategies as the “glitches” in our system. Think of a computer program. A computer program is made up of a delicate series of lines of code to tell the program what to do. If there is a glitch in any single line of code the whole system collapses. And if you were to upgrade that computer program to perform better or do new tricks, you would need to change the coding to ensure its ‘wired’ to do what you need it to do.

The brain works the exact same way! (See past post, How to think like Google)

So these are the main 3 Avoidance Strategies I observe which aim to keep you safe and small and limiting your true growth and self-actualization:

Overwhelm


Overwhelm is a strategy, I have studied deeply over the last decade because it is my default ASS (Avoidance Stupid Strategy) In fact, I’d say I had a BIG ASS (sorry, I could not help myself with that one) J

Overwhelm has been a great strategy to keep me small and out of my power, because I had the habit of piling things onto my plate to make me feel like I was busy and achieving. I could not say no to anyone, because I did not want to let anyone down so I would keep on doing and doing and doing in order to feel proud of myself.

But then suddenly there would be a straw which would break the camel’s back and everything would come crashing down as my mind went into overload and overwhelm!

Suddenly everything would feel too much and everything would fall into a heap and I would feel like an emotional mess. This would happen in perfect timing for me to throw in the towel, say it’s all too much, withdraw into self-pity and give up!

This was such a clever strategy until I realized how subconsciously it was working and how it was purposefully designed to make me appear that I was taking responsibility and achieving yet would allow me to give it all up. So in essence what this strategy allowed me to do was avoid taking full responsibility for myself and my life like an adult.

Once I had this awareness, I could dis-empower the strategy and rewrite the necessary code to ultimately help me take responsibility and success. This meant noticing when I was crossing personal boundaries and learning to say NO instead of people pleasing and self sacrificing. This in turn allowed me to emotionally and energetically manage myself which magically dissolved the habit of overwhelm.

Procrastination

Procrastination works the same way. Although there are times when we need to pace ourselves and let things develop organically, there are times when we intentionally procrastinate to avoid the pain of doing what we need to do.

By procrastinating we get to avoid the potentiality of failure, the possibility of judgement, taking responsibility or following through.

I remember, years ago a great teacher of mine described procrastination as the fear of being controlled or avoiding being told what to do. This happens when freedom is high on your value list. This need for freedom causes you to avoid doing what others ask you to do and therefore procrastinate.

I think my kids have mastered this strategy!

Fear        

Now of course we need a certain amount of fear, yet there is caution and there is FEAR (False Evidence Appearing Real). And fear as an illusion is the mother of all avoidance strategies. As we focus on the perception of fear it paralyses all action and ensures we stop trying and curl into the shell of our comfort zone.

Think about how the fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of success, fear of judgement, fear of abandonment, or fear of speaking up for yourself is keeping you small and safe.

Once you begin to notice how any of these strategies are causing you to avoid the perceived pain, shift your thinking to realizing that the more you play safe, the longer you stay small and the more you miss out on being and having in your full potential.


Take small, bite sized steps consistently every day to challenge yourself out of your comfort zone. Rewrite your inner self talk so that you can change your conditioned coding and upgrade yourself to a program which is going to bring you authentic happiness and joy in your life. And as you recondition your thinking in this positive direction, you will notice the stress and stubbornness transform into fluidity and flexibility.

Enjoy! 

To your truth and freedom with lots of love,

Cheryne 



Please like this post on Facebook by clicking on the like button above and help spread the love by sharing this post with your friends.

NEW! Mindful Movement Class- An integration of Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Meditation and Stretching.
18 N
ovember  8pm-9pm.  
Held at The Tranquility Centre 357 North Road South Caulfield To Book email Cheryne 

No comments:

Post a Comment