Monday, October 3, 2011

Are you Clouded by Ambition?

When I was 21 I came to Australia and looking back I was on a mission- to make something of myself and to be a success. I was a product of my background, having been born in South Africa and grew up in USA, I was taught to succeed at everything I do. I was taught to win, to compete and to push myself beyond my limits so that I stand out.
In some ways that is great- it has brought out my excellence, created a confidence and certainty within, a drive and motivation; however, looking back there were times where my decisions hurt people, where I was clouded by ambition, and did not realize my drive was causing pain along the way. I was led in the moment to make ambitious decisions, decisions which, looking back, were based on a need to prove myself- prove that I am worthy, I am good enough, I am accepted and loved.
Little did I know back then, that life has a great way of humbling us when we are asleep and not listening, so in time I have been brought to my knees, forced to face myself, my actions, my intentions and my truth. I thought, my past decisions were making me the person I wanted to be but in actual fact they were taking me further and further away from who I truly am at my core.
Back in those days of “life training” I worked in sales. In fact I have been born to the oldest family in the diamond business- dating back to 1630, actually. It is in my blood to “make a sale”, to charm, to entertain and to represent a product with integrity and dignity. The hunger for a sale is what has built great businesses and with desire and hunger, we bring out our enthusiasm. However, today my motivation extends from a different intention. It breeds from a place of heart rather than I place of desire; it comes from humility rather than hunger. It comes from a place of passion and purpose rather than a place of pressure and proving myself.
My desire today comes from turning what Wayne Dyer refers to as turning my Ambition to meaning.  In his movie, The Shift, which was first titled Ambition to Meaning, Dr Dyer explains how when we give up our Ego drives we turn ambition into a life with meaning. We begin to work from a strong internal purpose, a purpose which becomes our strong WHY, and our reason for being here on earth. And when we come from that internal purpose we begin to shine. We ignite our creative energy and gain a connection with our higher self. In fact we begin to live our life through our Soul’s Truth and Soul’s Purpose- and from here we begin to live our truth. We honour our soul and realize that the Ego is not there to distract us or pull us down but to guide us towards our path- the Ego is aiming to align itself with its soul- it’s other half.
Ambition often clouds our judgments and gives us a perception and an illusion that situations are a lot more challenging; we sometimes feel people are against us, letting us down and that we are not enough. However, when we shift our intention, that inner illusion fades.
Here are a few examples of how we shift:
The need to prove oneself becomes …the ability to acknowledge my soul’s journey- to become aware that my soul has a destiny of its own and when I interfere through my mind and Ego I block my destiny
“People are against me and don’t like me becomes … an opportunity to be a leader; to align with my values and stand for what I believe in and come from a place of influence rather than conflict.     To understand it is gift to stand out, my uniqueness is my gift, and by being different to one another we help each other see different sides of truth.
The need to try hard becomes… following purposeful action, using my time wisely and working from my enthusiasm and heart rather than from my “mind’s needs.” This means I let go of my focus on outcomes and stay present to my moment to moment actions, knowing every step I take takes me closer to where I am going.
 Desperately pushing things becomes … the ability to let go of controlling situations and allowing them to flow. THIS MEANS LEARNING PATIENCE!
Working for the sale, to make the sale becomes trusting in what opportunities come my way and as long as I know I am putting in my best efforts, energy and enthusiasm I will be ok.
Pleasing everyone becomes… having strong personal boundaries, knowing when to say NO, and sticking to my morals, rules and integrity
Working beyond my body’s limits becomes… the ability to stand back, to pause and listen to the wisdom of my body.
Competing with others and searching for the next best thing becomesbeing grateful for what I have in my own life and working with the gifts I have and making the most of what I have- being the alchemist of my destination- turning base metals into gold!
Unintentionally hurting people becomes…living with empathy, compassion and grace and the awareness of my own energy on others, the awareness of the effect we have on others. This allows us to be more present and become a person of influence.
Taking things personally becomes… having the wisdom, the compassion and the courage to look beyond  Ego and ourselves; the ability to see the bigger picture,
Intense Masculine energy becomes…the power of the Feminine- a soft, gentle yet powerful conviction which stems from the belief that we have nothing to prove but can stand in the powerful place of silence and observe with a detached intelligence and grace, passing no judgments or sinking into negative emotions. In this space we are less reactive and allow the voice of wisdom to guide us and align us with our values and our truth. This allows us to follow our internal guidance and intuition.
So instead of being clouded by ambition be inspired by your inner light and inner inspiration- Where your inner inspiration overrides any external motivation. This does not mean giving up striving for excellence and success; it means allowing your purpose to speak first and drive your ambition- it means your ambition now becomes the voice of your purpose and you achieve more then you could ever have imagined with helping people, serving people and making a contribution wherever you go.
 I have given up the need to prove myself, given up the need to be accepted; I honour who I was born to be and allow that light to shine and inspire wherever possible. My daily actions leave me feeling proud and uplifted and in turn raise my confidence and respect. Today I have a new mission…to allow my purpose to speak louder than my fear and ambition.
These words by the great Og Mandino sum it up perfectly:

TODAY I BEGIN A NEW LIFE

THE SCROLL MARKED 1, BY OG MANDINO, THE GREATEST SALESMAN IN THE WORLD

Today I begin a new life.
Today I shed my old skin, which hath, too long, suffered the bruises of failure and the wounds of mediocrity.

Today I am born anew and my birthplace is a vineyard where there is fruit for all.
Today I will pluck grapes of wisdom from the tallest and fullest vines in the
vineyard, for these were planted by the wisest of my profession who have come
before me, generation upon generation.

Today I will savor the taste of grapes from these vines and verily I will swallow the
seed of success buried in each and new life will sprout within me.
The career I have chosen is laden with opportunity yet it is fraught with heartbreak and despair and the bodies of those who have failed, were they piled one atop another, would cast its shadow down upon all the pyramids of the earth.
Yet I will not fail, as the others, for in my hands I now hold the charts, which will
guide me through perilous waters to shores, which only yesterday seemed but a
dream.

Failure will no longer by my payment for my struggle. Just as nature made no
provision for my body to tolerate pain neither has it made any provision for my life to suffer failure. Failure, like pain, is alien to my life. In the past I accepted it as I accepted pain. Now I reject it and I am prepared for wisdom and principles which will guide me out of the shadows into the sunlight of wealth, position, and happiness far beyond my most extravagant dreams until even the golden apples in the Garden of Hesperides will seem no more than my just reward.
Time teaches all things to he who lives forever but I have not the luxury of eternity.

Yet, within my allotted time I must practice the art of patience for nature acts never in haste. To create the olive, king of all trees, a hundred years is required. An onion plant is old in nine weeks. I have lived as an onion plant. It has not pleased me. Now I wouldst become the greatest of olive trees and, in truth, the greatest of salesmen.

Towards your truth and freedom,

Cheryne Blom

For more about Cheryne please also see: http://www.cheryneblom.com/ 
Please "LIKE" this post by clicking on the top of this page.
PS: I would love to hear your comments and stories. Please leave your comments here or email me  Please also share your comments on Facebook.

COMING SOON- MASTERING THE ART OF SELF LOVE ONLINE PROGRAM!
The ultimate 12 step process- please email me your interest here

No comments:

Post a Comment