Saturday, January 22, 2011

Why Meditate?

Do you find yourself lost in thoughts unable to stop your mind and unable to focus?

Do you find it difficult to relax and feel calm?
Do you have difficulty sleeping and experience anxiety?
Do you wish you could retrain your brain?
If you have answered YES to any of these questions then Meditation is your answer!
I discovered meditation over 20 years ago when I was studying psychology. For me learning how to meditate was life changing because I had the tendency to get hyper active, loose focus, get distracted easily, and disconnect from my feelings. I had moments in my life where I was completely committed to my meditation practice and then years when I forgot. And in those years where I forgot the importance of my practice I lost myself. About 5 years ago I recommenced my meditation journey as I commenced a major life change and I have not looked back.
The meditation techniques that I have learnt have actually helped me rewire my brain and now with the science of Neuroplasticity we know that the brain has the ability to adapt itself to its environment. Most importantly I have a connection with myself which gives me the self awareness and mindfulness I require to create my life and my reality the way I want it to be.
A lot of my clients say they cannot meditate, they are not spiritual, cannot still their minds, cannot sit still for long enough, cannot find the time, do not know how to create the space for themselves, and some even feel uncomfortable and agitated meditating.  The best analogy of an unfocused mind is compared to a Monkey Mind; as a monkey swings from branch to branch so our mind swings from thought to thought without any direction or clarity- so just like we distract the monkey by giving it a banana , we must distract our mind with a point of focus.
So what is meditation? Meditation is simply the art of teaching the mind to focus on ONE particular thing at any given moment- give that "MONKY” a banana. For most of us, until we reach high levels of enlightenment, we cannot have “NO THOUGHTS” going through our mind. So in learning meditation the first thing to learn is WHAT to focus your mind on.
The first step I teach my meditation students in my course- learn how to meditate in 6 weeks- is breath connection and deep breathing techniques. Being connected to our breath helps unite the mind and the body and helps bring us into the NOW (As Eckhart Tolle calls it – THE POWER OF NOW). As we slow down and focus on our breath we slow down our brain waves. As our brain waves slow down from a beta to an alpha state all our systems slow down- our respiratory system, our cardiovascular system, and most importantly our nervous system. As the mind calms the body calms as the body is a reflection of the inner mind.
Here is a simple breathing technique to help you start your meditation journey and get calm, focused and connected:
Find a quiet place where you can sit or lie down comfortably without being interrupted
(Swith off your phone)
Find some great meditation music which you connect with
Focus your attention on your breath (inhale through your nose, exhale out your mouth)
In the beginning our Monkey Mind is undisciplined so thoughts are going to come and go and at times we may find that we have drifted into another thought. Be patient and gentle with yourself by returning your focus to your breath each time you become aware of the disconnection. The more you practice meditation the more the mind adapts to the experience and the process becomes easier.
As you inhale focus the breath rising from your belly, up your chest, past your throat and then exhale out your mouth. As you exhale allow the breath to fall down the body in the same pattern, ensuring you are expanding the belly on the exhale breath. (Follow the breath along your Centre Line- for more information on your centerline please see my previous post: Are you afraid of your pain?)
As you inhale feel the breath and fresh oxygen rising up the body. As you exhale focus on letting go and softening the body.
Inhale for the count of four to start and exhale for the count f 6 (slowly pacing the breath)- expand the belly at the end of the breath
Now inhale hold at the top and notice the pause or the gap between the inhale and exhale breath.
Exhale and focus on the pause at the bottom of the exhale before you inhale.
Now as you inhale count the pause at the top and as you exhale count the pause at the bottom,
See how far you can get- aim to get to 20 pauses in each focused breath cycle ; If you have lost your place or your focus start again.
This simple breathing technique I call “Minding the Gaps” helps direct your “Monkey Mind” and keep yourself in focus. Again, this takes practice and the ability to have the courage to practice the wisdom of patience. Go for it and ensure you are prioritizing at least 20 minutes of stillness everyday!
If you have any questions please comment below or email Cheryne@cheryneblom.com
 I would love to hear your comments on your practice and please feel free to share this post with your friends on Facebook by clicking the links below and the like button at the top of this post.
Have a great week!
 Lots of Love,
Cheryne
For more information on Cheryne’s upcoming Learn How to Meditate 6 week course please Click Here
Download Guided meditations Now-click here!


No comments:

Post a Comment